Scrapbooking Top 50 Australia
Welcome to the Scrapbooking Top 50 Australia Forum!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to the Scrapbooking Top 50 Australia Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Sponsors
Would you like to sponsor a challenge at Top 50 and have your store link shown here?  If so, please contact admin! :)
Top 50 Blinkies!
Snag our blinkie and spread it around the net!!

Latest topics
» Huge amount of scrapbooking items for sale
Any ideas???? EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 6:25 am by LisaG

» Announcement... Please Read!!!
Any ideas???? EmptySat Jan 31, 2015 3:18 pm by vickstar

» Dec / Jan gallery!
Any ideas???? EmptyThu Jan 29, 2015 5:45 pm by Chloe

» December / January monthly ch!
Any ideas???? EmptyTue Jan 20, 2015 5:51 pm by Chloe

» Photo a day challenge
Any ideas???? EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 5:59 pm by Chloe

» Happy new year everyone ;)
Any ideas???? EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 6:48 pm by Chloe

» Nov CC WINNERS!!!!!
Any ideas???? EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 2:07 pm by adrienne

» EXTENSION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any ideas???? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 3:51 pm by Chloe

» Nov Cyber Chat!!!
Any ideas???? EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 3:50 pm by Chloe

» Nov CC challenge 3 GALLERY
Any ideas???? EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 1:31 pm by Chloe

Any ideas????

+5
redant
Charmane
vickstar
Kathie
Vicki
9 posters

Go down

Any ideas???? Empty Any ideas????

Post by Vicki Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:11 pm

Thought I will try posting something on the forum in the hope that one or two members may have some information to share with little old me...

My daughter, monique, is now almost 6 weeks, and is still not sleeping for more than 4 hours at night, touch wood, as last night she slept for 6.

Am I just over re-acting and shouldn't expect too much this early or maybe there is a way to change her routine, as during the day she is sleep for 6 -8 hours at a time. I could catch up on sleep during the day but with Cooper the active little bugger he is i'm finding it hard to catch any sleep at all, which ultimately means i am surviving on coffee lol not good for me at all...and with my partner going away this week for work and won't be home till december it's going to be doubly hard...

Does anyone have any ideas on how to change Monique's routine so she is sleeping more hours at night and less during the day? With the other kids I never had this problem as they were sleeping through the night early on...maybe i'm expecting too much too soon and given time she will adjust to a better sleep routine?

Vicki

http://scrapbookingtop50.com.au

Back to top Go down

Any ideas???? Empty Re: Any ideas????

Post by Kathie Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:28 pm

Not sure if this will help V.....My daughters didn't sleep through until they were 8 and 10 weeks old respectively.......
You can try to stimulate Monique during the day by putting her in a rocker or on a playmat with lots of colourful toys swinging etc. If she isn't waking up for enough feeds during the day, you can try the bath routine....I understand its tough with Cooper too. One suggestion that I do have is to not to let her sleep to long during the day.....make sure you feed her when you want to, not when she wants to wake up and have a bottle. Is it every 4 hours? Things change so much.... I know its a pain when you are trying to get stuff done, but this will help with the night sleeping too!!
Hope that is helpful for you. Maybe somebody else is more able to assist you.
Wish I was closer to help with cooper, its hard sometimes....I do understand as I raised my 3 boys on my own for 11 years, one from pre-birth!!
Take care Victoria
xoxo

Last edited by scraphappykat on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kathie
Kathie

http://www.scraphappykat.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vickstar Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:31 pm

Hey V, i used the 'Save Our Sleep' book by Tizzie Hall as a rough guide to what my kids should have been doing.

They say for bottle-fed babies 6 to 8 wks:

Feeds at 7am, 11am, 3pm and 6.20pm
Sleep times 8.30am and 12.30pm
Nap at 4.30pm
Bedtime at 7pm
Dreamfeed at 10pm

Always wake and feed at 7am even if they have had a feed not long before to establish a good wake up time (Jorja still gets up at 7 every morning at 3!!)
8.30 swaddle and put to bed allowing to self settle (i couldn't stand the crying so cuddled to sleep)
11am wake and feed
12.30 pm swaddle and put back to bed
3pm wake and feed
4.30pm take for a walk or drive to encourage sleeping somewhere else
5.30pm wake and bathe
6.20pm feed
7pm swaddle and put to bed
10pm dreamfeed

When bubs wakes during the night, don't talk to them, just feed and put back to bed to establish the difference between day and night

Hope that helps a little V!! I only used it as a guide, but both my kids sleep well at night now!! Any ideas???? Icon_smile
vickstar
vickstar

http://scrappinvickstar.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicki Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:01 pm

Thanks both suggestions have me thinking of getting a routine going through the day to keep her awake...

Now while we are on the subject of children...any ideas on how to best start potty training, as cooper is at that age where I think we should start him getting used to the idea of going to the potty?

I can vaguely remember with my older two kids how we went about potty training Smile it was over a decade ago lol i'm flat out remembering stuff from last week let alone ten years ago!!

Vicki

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmane Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:05 pm

ooh I"m so sorry V that Monique isn't sleeping well at night for you Sad I'm finding Ryarne is loving to sleep during the day too.... although she is awake a little during the day.... and then she likes being WIDE awake from about 6 til midnight Any ideas???? Icon_rolleyes which means I'm cuddling her or keeping her occupied all that time - unless Ashan is available.... which isn't always the case Sad

I've been lucky though, because once I give Ryarne a feed just before bed {before midnight} she'll sleep through.... til 6 & this morning it was 7 {because of dls}

I'm still feeling extremely drained and tired though, not sure if it's the late nights, then waking up so early {not used to that...} or if it's hormones too...

Thanks for the info Vicki.... I think I will need this too....

GOOD LUCK V!!!
Charmane
Charmane

http://ourbrightstarsandus.typepad.com/charmscreations/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathie Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:06 pm

Ummm V, me thinks that its best to wait until they show some interest!! I'm not sure how old Cooper is......Huggies website has lots of really great ideas on toilet training....its worth a look
huggies.com.au not sure about the au bit!!
Hope that is some help...
xoxo
Kathie
Kathie

http://www.scraphappykat.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmane Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:07 pm

i agree with Kat.... don't worry about it til he's interested.... maybe just keep suggesting he should go to the big toilet.... don't push it, just wait til he's ready.... both mine went on their own accord.... and never looked back!

Chei took a little longer, but Harmony has barely wet the bed, and did no 2's and everything!
Charmane
Charmane

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicki Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm

Well he's 17 months old so I'm thinking he should be ready to at least start familarising himself with the potty...will check out that website, see if i can find a hint or two to get him interested

Vicki

Back to top Go down

Post by redant Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:01 pm

V, as for the sleeping, I am really not sure. My DD woke up lots for the longest time (I think cause I was BF) but always settled right away when finished with her feed. I do agree with Vick though that not stimulating them at night works really well. Even though Tori woke up for feeds, I would literally go in - change her if she needed it - feed her and put her straight back to bed - all without saying a word or even looking at her. I also only ever used the light from the hallway. She would go back to sleep immediately. During the day it was a different routine in that I would talk to her, play with her, open curtains and generally be as disruptive as possible. Both my kids learnt very quickly the difference between night and day.

As for the toilet training, I would that 17 months would be VERY early to be toilet trained. My dd was 2 in May and she is still not toilet trained and I am not concerned at all. She sometimes uses the potty and has even gone a few days dry, but nothing permant. I was told not to push it, when she is ready she is ready. My son however was completely trained in about 3 days by the time he was 2. My neice was 3 when she was toilet trained and was also considered quite normal. I guess the point I am trying to make is that all kids do things at different times so try not to stress. Hugs to you and good luck with being a 'single mum' while your DP is away. Any ideas???? Icon_biggrin
redant
redant

http://redantscrap.blogspot.com  http://tramenglish.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Charmane Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:21 pm

Scrappygurl wrote:Well he's 17 months old so I'm thinking he should be ready to at least start familarising himself with the potty...will check out that website, see if i can find a hint or two to get him interested

Chei didn't toilet train til he was 3....
Charmane
Charmane

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupie Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:19 pm

V, in regard to sleeping, I am with Vicki, "Save Our Sleep" by Tizzie Hall ROCKS!!! I received this book from Mandy (who also used it) and it was fantastic! We would both HIGHLY recommend it!

As for potty training, we used to start putting the kids at daycare on the potty at 15 months old just to familiarise them with it (although nothing ever happened). As you know, Brielle is a day younger than Cooper and I haven't started with her yet either. It is my intention to get a potty for Brielle and start sitting her on it after we get back from our holiday, but it will just be to get used to it. There is no rush for Cooper, I wouldn't expect much from them for a few months yet!
Soupie
Soupie

http://soupie75.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by robyn Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:46 am

I also found that with potty training the familiarisation is the key. It doesn't really matter if he isn't 'doing' anything but making it a 'non scary' time I think is best. I think a mother knows her child best so if you think he is ready to start then go for it. You can at least intriduce the concept and if he doesn't take to it then ease off so he doesn't think it is a big deal. I found the warmer weather ideal so where you are it is an apt time.

Good luck with the sleeping problem, one of mine never slept unless she was in a sling with me sitting up..she wasn't well but theis went on for months! Any ideas???? Affraid I also agree about the gentle part of persuasion..that book sounds like it might be very helpful and it might be in your library???
robyn
robyn

Back to top Go down

Post by robjud Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:04 am

I would say with the toilet training not attempt it now as you don't need the extra stress at the moment. I didn't start DS until he was nearly 3. Good idea to start in the summer when they don't need as many clothes on so less washing!
robjud
robjud

http://judith-pagesofmemories.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:22 am

I'll put in my 2 cents worth...
I was lucky with both my daughters in the sleep department...
The only thing I felt was important that I did was I kept them in their rockers during the day for naps apart from the "big one". For the big nap I would most often use a portacot set up either in the family room or outside - wherever I was hanging out. Plus I'd shove a few activity toys and books in the cot too. For bedtime, I always used music. CDs are great - like the Wiggles etc softly (there's a great bedtime Wiggles cd and the Baby Einstein ones are great too). I always made bedtime an exciting and happy time (to look forward to) and I think it definately helps having the music. Dummys are great too - my daughters loved them for sleep, until they got sick of them and didn't need them anymore.
For potty training I found that it's great to have a potty in the bathroom, talk about it, and have some books on it (Huggies might have something to send out or print out too). I just was like "when you're ready, you can use the potty." And she wasn't ready for a while... when she was just over 3 years she decided she was ready and was fully potty trained within 2 weeks - and hasn't had any accidents at night, day or anything (she's now 6 and a half). So familiarising is a good idea, but I think not to push it until they're ready, because I know physically, my daughter wasn't ready until she was mentally ready. (I hope that makes sense! I know what I mean anyway.) LOL
Hope some of this helps!

Back to top Go down

Post by robyn Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:36 pm

yes mothers do know their own children.
robyn
robyn

Back to top Go down

Post by kirsty Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:06 am

Wow.

Don't mean to scare you guys cause it sounds like you all had "good " babies but my two didn't officially sleep through the night until DD1 was 11mths and DD2 was nearly 2. DD1 had colic until 10mths and would cry from 5pm till 4.30am just as daddy got up to go to work. DD2 had a milk protien allergy and was always hungry and i think she got used to waking up. It was only 10-15 minutes each time maybe 2 - 3 times between 10 and 6 but it was enough to be annoying. Most of the mums I know were still doing 1 night feed up until about 6 months. maybe it's a side affect of living in the slow state :lol:

Probably not want you want to hear but at least now i can officially say i got ripped off with my kids.lol
kirsty
kirsty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down